The Zebra ET40 is a rugged tablet designed specifically for business use. This review will tell you everything you need to know to determine if the ET40 is the right fit for your business.
- Pros and Cons
- Operating System and Programs
- How to Purchase Zebra ET40
- Get a Quote
Do you have specific questions about the Zebra ET40? Fill out the form below to talk to a tech expert. We will respond within 1 business hour.
Zebra ET40 Specifications
|8 inch: 8.42 in. L x 5.32 in. H x 0.45 in. D
10 inch: 10.15 in. L x 6.41 in. H x 0.45 in. D
|8 inch/20.3 cm: 500 nits, color WXGA 1280×800
10.1 inch/25.7 cm: 500 nits, color WUXGA
1920×1200; Corning® Gorilla® Glass
|8 inch: 1.07 lbs/485 g
10 inch: 1.52 lbs/690 g
|8 inch: 6100 mAh 3.87 V rechargeable Li-Ion
10 inch: 7600 mAh 3.87 V rechargeable Li-Ion
Optional hot swappable 3400 mAh 7.6 V (25.84Wh) additional battery
|Octa-Cora Qualcomm Snapdragon SM63751.8GHz-2.2GHz (Depending on the Configuration)
Zebra ET40 Pricing
On the spectrum of rugged industrial tablets, the Zebra ET40 offers a more affordable option than some of the pricier options on the market. Like many other Zebra devices, the ET40 allows for different customization, and the features you choose will impact the final price. You can find the Zebra ET40 for approximately $600-$900, depending on your desired specifications.
When making a long term investment such as tablets for your workforce, making the right choice is critical. However, determining how to configure your devices to best suit your business can be challenging. Our Energy Electronics tech specialists are trained to offer personalized direction on selecting the right model and provide accurate quotes.
Zebra ET40 Pros and Cons
Pros of the Zebra ET40
The Zebra ET40 is built specifically for business and includes many key features and functions that aren’t available with consumer tablets.
Durability: The Zebra ET40 is designed to offer a longer lifecycle that will last through several years of consistent use. The durability results in a lower TCO as you’ll need to replace your devices less frequently. There’s also less down time due to support and repairs issues that crop up with standard consumer tablets. Additionally, Zebra guarantees that the model you purchase will be available for at least three years from the purchase date, ensuring continued support for your devices.
Build: As far as the actual build is concerned, the tablet is rather slim which is great for carrying around and comes in both 8″ and 10″ Gorilla Glass display options. The ET40 is MIL-810H certified and you can extend the drop resistance with an optional rugged boot.
Price: The Zebra ET40 is priced on the lower end of the spectrum when compared to similar industrial tablets, making it a great budget option.
Functionality: The ET40 offers several core functions that make it ideal for business operations. Firstly the integrated scanner enables easy and accurate data capture. There’s also a high quality camera which allows workers to communicate via video chat in addition to visual documentation of merchandise, delivery, and product conditions. Additionally, the ability to add a hot swappable second battery allows for continued use over multiple shifts. Finally, the ET40 easily coverts to a mobile POS with support for NFC tap-to-pay and added Point-of-Sale hub accessories.
Cons of the Zebra ET40
A few things to consider if you’re deciding whether the Zebra ET40 is right for your business:
Firstly, as far as connectivity is concerned, the ET40 only offers network connectivity via Wi-Fi meaning you’ll need to use your tablet in range of a Wi-Fi network. This is fine for most indoor uses such as retail, hospitality, and manufacturing, but not a viable option for workers in outdoor and on-the-go settings. For operations such as logistics, distribution, and field service, the Zebra ET45 may be a better choice as it offers 5G wireless connectivity in addition to the Wi-Fi.
Another major factor to consider is the operating system. The Zebra ET40 runs on Android which offers an excellent UX for businesses already utilizing programs and applications supported by Android. However, if your operation depend on Windows supported programs, the ET40 is definitely not the right choice and you’re better off looking to something like the Zebra ET5x series which offer both Android and Windows supported devices.
Interested in the Zebra ET40? Talk a tech specialist to discuss whether the ET40 is the right option for your business.
Display, Cameras, and Scanners
Some projects require an extra-large screen for viewing information. For example, you might be a healthcare worker reviewing patient data.
The ET40 lets you do just that. It comes with a 500-nit 8 or 10.1-inch screen that reduces the need for endless scrolling. It presents more information than standard tablets or mobile computers to help you be more productive and accurate.
Another great aspect of the display is that it’s covered in Gorilla Glass. Produced from chemically strengthened materials, the glass delivers practically unrivaled protection from impact, scratches, and other forms of damage.
You’ll also enjoy the capacitive touch technology that comes with the display. It allows you to use the screen with multiple forms of input, such as bare fingers, gloves, and styluses.
High optical quality is another strong suit of the display. The ET40 features a glass substrate underneath the electrode film, which transmits huge amounts of light to the surface.
As for the camera, users can easily capture images and videos with a 13MP rear camera, which features a user-controllable flash. The 5MP front camera doesn’t give the best quality images but it’s also probably not a feature that will be frequently used.
When it comes to data capture, the ET40 features excellent scanning capabilities.
The primary scanners (SE4100 and SE4710) are ideal for daily scans that don’t require you to find a sweet spot for your barcode. It’s easy to use and provides great responsiveness.
The third scanner is even more advanced than the first two. It extends the scan range to improve your efficiency.
If you get the highest configuration of the ET40, you also gain access to IntelliFocus technology. It adds polished aiming patterns and illumination to each scanning job to help you capture items in dark rooms.
Operating System and Programs
Out of the box, the ET40 runs on Android 11. It’s one of the most recent Android operating systems, featuring high-security standards and interface improvements. It contributes to a smoother performance and better-looking apps from day one.
Your device can also come with numerous Mobility DNA tools. These proprietary platforms streamline your gadget management, security, and other aspects to boost your operations. Here are some of the tools you can integrate into your configuration:
- Mobility Extensions – Incorporate enterprise functions into your Android OS (you can choose from hundreds of features to enhance tablet management and security).
- StageNow – Stage your fleet of ET40s within seconds.
- Enterprise Home Screen – Make sure your team can only use their ET40s for work by controlling the features and applications they can access.
- DataWedge – Enter barcodes in various apps without any programming.
- Enterprise Mobility Development ToolKit – Incorporate the features of your ET40s with third-party apps.
- GMS Restricted Mode – Restrict the services and applications available on the tablets.
- OEM Config – Automatically activate EMM support for different features.
- RxLogger – Gather advanced troubleshooting data for smooth diagnostics and repairs.
- Device Diagnostics – Further improve your troubleshooting capabilities and eliminate the need to visit a repair provider by testing your tablet functions.
- SimulScan – Capture 100 barcodes at the same time on multiple labels using just one scan. You can also detect signatures or images to retrieve key information and add them to other apps.
How to Purchase Zebra ET40
The Zebra ET40 is a phenomenal rugged tablet, but this doesn’t mean you should rush your buying decision. As previously indicated, you can select several different configurations, influencing the available features and price of your product. You need to choose your functions carefully to ensure the device is suitable for your operations and budget. Energy Electronics can help you do so. Reach out to us, and we’ll point you in the right direction when it comes to configuring your ET40.
Markets and Applications
The Zebra ET40 is built for business and has a wide range of applications and features for businesses across an array of industries and markets. As previously mentioned, the ET40 is best suited for business and industries that function in an indoor setting as the tablet only offers Wi-Fi connectivity and not cellular.
- ET40 for Healthcare – The ET40 can enhance patient engagement in your healthcare center for functions such as registration and feedback. Other uses include performing remote scans and imaging, consulting specialists remotely, monitoring patients, and providing payment terminals.
- ET40 for Retail – A great way to eliminate bulky checkout stations is to utilize the ET40 as a mobile POS system. It has POS software that lets you maximize floor space, increase your inventory, and manage your stock more easily.
- ET40 for Warehousing – This rugged tablet includes an integrated scanner, which is a must-have in any warehouse. The ET40 allows you to capture barcodes in split seconds due to advanced technologies and long ranges. Options to add accessories for vehicle and forklift mounts further add to the tablet’s functionality.
- ET40 for the Hospitality Industry – If you’re a hotel manager or administrator, you can simplify many operations with ET40. There are robust reporting tools to monitor your desk projects, room services, housekeeping, and other aspects.
Power and Batteries
The ET40 offers extended battery life so that workers can use their tablets for a full shift without the need to recharge in middle.
As there are several configurations, the battery power varies slightly, depending on the model you choose. Both models come equipped with a rechargeable Li-Ion Polymer battery that can be replaced by the user. The 8 inch model comes with a 6100 mAh battery while the 10 inch tablet features a 7600 mAh battery.
Additionally, both size tablets have the option to add additional battery life through the expansion back accessory which replaces the standard battery cover. The Expansion Back includes space to add an additional 3400 mAh PowerPack battery (sold separately). Furthermore, the PowerPack battery is hot swappable so that you can easily keep the tablet running across multiple shifts, without having to power down the device while replacing the battery. You can also purchase a four slot PowerPack battery charger which enables you to charge multiple additional batteries at the same time so you have them ready and waiting when needed.
Accessories and Add-ons
The Zebra ET40 offers many excellent accessories that increase the functionality of the device.
- USB wall power supply – Charges your device from 0% to 80% in less than 3 hours
- Single-slot cradle – Charges the tablet from 0% to 80% in less than 2.5 hours
- Multi-slot cradles – Fits multiple ET40s
- Rugged boot – Increases drop resistance for extra durability
- Presentation Stand – Converts the ET40 into a mobile POS station
- PowerPack Battery for Expansion Back – Enables battery hot-swapping for continuous use across multiple shifts
- Shoulder strap – Improves portability
- Stylus – For precise input, useful in rain or wet conditions
This is just a sampling of the accessories that Zebra offers for the ET40. There’s also an additional array of third party accessories that are compatible with the ET40.
The right accessories play a key function in optimizing your tablet to suit your operation’s requirements. Reach out to an Energy Electronics tech specialist to help choose the best solution for your business.
Zebra ET40 Ranking
Energy Electronics experts rate the Zebra ET40 rugged tablet at 8.5/10. It’s an overall solid tablet that offers basic business functionality at a decent price. Read on to learn more about the capabilities and features that the ET40 has to offer.
Zebra ET40 Reviews
User reviews for the ET40 are mostly positive, users say they’re happy with both the functionality and durability of the device.
“The ET40 fit right into my workflow. I spent 8+ hours in my warehouse, so I needed a reliable scanner and a long battery life. The ET40 delivered on both accounts and has been instrumental in increasing productivity and speeding up our workflow.”
“Zebra has been my go-to provider of rugged tablets, and the ET40 is a fantastic workhorse tablet and it’s more affordable than some of other tablets that pretty much offer the same features. I especially like the display protection and super-fast CPU.”
“We were looking to outfit our warehouse workforce with digital tablets for inventory and logistics, we needed something lightweight but durable enough that we didn’t have to be careful about dropping it and also something that could last for a full days work. Ultimately we went with the ET40 because of the integrated scanner and the price point was much more cost effective than other tablets we looked at. It’s been a smooth sailing so far, the tablets were easy to set up and deploy and they been working great.”
Talk to an Expert
Interested in the Zebra ET40? Contact our expert consultants to discuss the best option for your business. Fill out the form below and we’ll respond to you within 1 business hour to help you find the right solution for your business.