The Zebra EC55 mobile computer combines the best of both worlds – it looks and feels like a smartphone yet has all the features necessary to boost efficiency, productivity, and collaboration teamwide. In other words, this is a computing powerhouse that fits in the palm of your hand. Here’s everything you need to know about this handy mobile computer that excels inside your facility and out in the field.
Looking for advice on using the Zebra EC55 Mobile Computer? Fill out our contact form and we’ll respond to you in one business hour.
It’s impressive what such a lightweight and compact device can accomplish business-wise. That’s why this smartphone-style enterprise mobile computer undoubtedly deserves a 9.5/10 rating.
|Dimensions||6.08 x 2.99 x 0.38 inches|
|Display||5 inches, 720×1280 (HD)Corning Gorilla Glass; capacitive touch panel|
|Camera||Front: 5-megapixel fixed focus camera|
Rear: 13-megapixel autofocus camera
|Processor||Qualcomm SD660, 2.2 GHz Octa-core|
|Scanning||SE4100, 1D/2D omnidirectional imager|
|Connectivity||WWAN, Wi-Fi, 4G, Ethernet cradle, Bluetooth v5.0, NFC|
If you’re looking for an exact price for the Zebra EC55 mobile computer immediately, we’ll have to disappoint you. The price is dictated by a number of factors, including the upgrades and accessories you choose, the certified reseller you work with, and the number of devices you need to buy.
We can tell you that a basic model should cost around $1,200. For everything else, consult our Zebra experts at Energy Electronics directly.
They’ll advise you on which upgrades and accessories are must-haves for your industry and which are just nice-to-haves. Once you figure out the ideal device specification for your organization, you’ll receive an exact price quote in no time.
Plus, depending on how many Zebra EC55s you wish to buy, you might be eligible for bulk pricing. For that reason, make sure to discuss all your options with your Energy Electronics sales representative.
Pros and Cons
The EC55 is the thinnest and lightest mobile computer in Zebra’s lineup, together with another model from the same series, the EC50. But this remarkably compact design for a mobile computer isn’t all the Zebra EC55 has to offer.
This device also excels in demanding work environments. Thanks to a waterproof, drop-proof, and dust-proof design, you can rely on the Zebra EC55 to ensure uninterrupted performance even under the harshest conditions and the clumsiest of hands. The Corning Gorilla Glass brings this ruggedness to the device’s screen, ensuring it’s scratch and impact-resistant.
Unlike the EC50, the EC55 model features both Wi-Fi and a 4G connection. This allows workers to stay connected and access critical information in real time, whether in the facility or in the field. But wherever they are, one thing’s for sure – they’ll experience near-instant application response.
Simply put, the Zebra EC55 allows users to stay connected and productive anywhere. Plus, with a few handy add-ons, this mobile computer can turn into whatever device they need – a desktop computer, a PBX handset, a two-way radio, or a high-functioning scanner. And all that in a device that can fit into your pocket!
Of course, no device is perfect, and the Zebra EC55 is no exception. The biggest downside of this model is the lack of hot-swap batteries. But what does this mean exactly? Well, it means you must turn off your device before swapping batteries, causing downtime. But you can always avoid this scenario by monitoring your battery charge and finding the right moment to swap it.
Some users also noted that the device’s display lacks contrast with brightness under 50%, making it difficult to read. To fix this issue, set the brightness to 80% or 90%.
Display, Cameras, and Scanner
Since the EC55 is designed to look like a mobile device, a 5-inch screen shouldn’t come as a surprise to users. This screen provides enough room for all the necessary information while keeping the device’s design compact. Thanks to multi-touch support, interacting with applications is a breeze.
The EC55 also features two powerful cameras: a front-facing 5-megapixel camera with fixed focus and a rear-facing 13-megapixel unit with autofocus. The former camera is ideal for remote video conferencing, while the latter has numerous helpful uses.
Take full advantage of its 4K capabilities to capture high-quality videos whenever you need proof of work progress or a consultation about a particular assignment. For still image capture, you can choose between several modes (e.g., snow) to ensure you get the best possible picture in any environment or situation.
Although this mobile computer doesn’t come with a built-in scanner, you can have one installed. And this will undoubtedly be a good decision! The optional scanner is an excellent piece of equipment that can read virtually any barcode in any condition. With the company’s DataWedge software, workers can even capture multiple barcodes on a single item in one go without covering the unwanted barcodes.
Operation System and Programs
Take the Zebra EC55 out of the box, and you’ll encounter a familiar operating system – Android 10. Since most workers already know how to use Android devices, there will be no need for time-consuming training and a frustrating learning curve. The system can even be upgraded to Android 14 for those who want the latest features and improvements.
By default, your EC55 will be equipped with the Zebra Mobility DNA, a suite of enterprise solutions designed to maximize productivity and minimize IT complexities. From there, you can add multiple programs to transform your mobile computer into a powerful tool customized to your business needs.
Here are just some examples:
- Mobility Extensions – over 100 features designed to improve the security of your Android operating system.
- LifeGuardTM – a handy updater for your operation system.
- Device Tracker – a simple way to find a misplaced EC55, even if it’s powered down.
- StageNow – an innovative way to stage up to hundreds of EC55s at once, eliminating the need to configure each device separately.
- DataWedge – a tool for integrating data capture into your device without any coding.
- Workstation Connect – a software program that turns your mobile computer into a full workstation while using less than half the power of the conventional desktop computer.
How to Purchase Zebra EC55 Mobile Computer
Now that you understand how the Zebra EC55 works and its main features, you might think you’re ready to go online and make a purchase. But not so fast. There’s a lot that goes into choosing the ideal mobile computer specification for your business. To avoid making a costly mistake, don’t make any final decisions without consulting with the Zebra experts at Energy Electronics first.
Besides, why would you go through the purchasing process on your own when these experts can help you every step of the way? From selecting the ideal combination of applications, software programs, and accessories to putting these powerful devices in the hands of your employees, Energy Electronics experts ensure a seamless and successful integration of the Zebra EC55 into your business workflow.
Markets and Applications
The perfect balance between compactness and power makes the Zebra EC55 an ideal device for a wide range of industries and applications. Work with an expert to customize your device, and you’ll unlock even more possibilities for your industry.
The Zebra EC55 particularly excels in industries where data gathering and product verifications are crucial to the daily workflow.
- Retail. Retail workers can benefit from the EC55 mobile computer in so many ways that it’s almost impossible to list them all. Use this handy device for information lookup, price checks, and item replenishments, and your store will run smoothly no matter how busy it gets. Customer satisfaction will reach an all-time high thanks to the handy assisted selling features, while the team will function as a well-oiled machine, courtesy of the device’s task assignment and management capabilities.
- Distribution. Whether you need a helping hand with inventory and cycle counts, picking and collecting packages, or shipping them out, the Zebra EC55 has got you covered.
- Hospitality. Take your hotel or resort’s concierge service to the next level by introducing the EC55 at your front desk. Seamless guest assistance, payment facilitation, and luggage verification are just some of the benefits this move will bring you.
- Healthcare. The Zebra EC55 has numerous uses in the healthcare industry. From patient identification to monitoring sanitation tasks and cleaning schedules, there’s no doubt that this device significantly enhances efficiency, safety, and overall quality of care in medical facilities.
- Field mobility. The Zebra EC55 is a game-changer in field mobility. Whether employing couriers, running Direct Store Delivery (DSD), or organizing field sales, you can count on this mobile computer to make each process a breeze.
Zebra EC55 Mobile Computer Review
“Rugged tablets are not really my thing. They’re too bulky, and I can never hold them in one hand comfortably. That’s why I was excited when we switched to the Zebra EC55. It’s like holding your phone but better. Plus, there weren’t any changes to our store’s workflow. A win-win situation.”
“We use this mobile computer at our delivery service. It checks all the boxes for us. It’s lightweight and compact; I can mount it in my car, and use it for proof of delivery.”
“We’ve purchased the EC55 mobile computer for our concierge and front desk, and it was the best decision ever. Whatever requests and inquiries guests have, our staff can respond to them swiftly and efficiently.”
Power and Batteries
With a large, 3060mAh battery, you can power every minute of your employee’s workday. This battery capacity might seem small at first glance, but it was a conscious choice. You see, this model is the lightest mobile computer in Zebra’s assortment, which wouldn’t be possible with a bulkier battery.
Still, the device’s battery is enough to provide power for a full shift. For a double shift or more intensive use, we suggest purchasing an extended battery. But say your battery dies, and you have nothing to swap it with. The good news is that you can recharge it relatively quickly. You’ll only need about 15 minutes to charge it to 25%. For a 90%-100% battery charge, you’ll need around two hours.
Accessories and Addons
While the Zebra EC55 is powerful on its own, it becomes a force to be reckoned with when paired with specific accessories and add-ons. Just like your EC55 doesn’t need all the software programs and customization options available, it doesn’t need every single accessory Zebra has ever produced.
Instead of choosing these additions blindly, consult our experts at Energy Electronics, and you’ll know precisely which accessories will elevate your device to the next level. Whichever they might be, make sure they’re produced or authorized by Zebra. Otherwise, you risk damaging your mobile computer.
Check out some of the most common additions for this Zebra model:
- Single Slot Charge Cradle. Purchase this cradle, and secure a safe and efficient charging station for your EC55. As the name suggests, this cradle only fits one device at a time, but you can also find varieties with up to five charging slots.
- Workstation Docking Cradle. Do you want to transform your mobile computer into a regular computer? If so, secure it in this docking cradle, attach the peripherals (keyboard and mouse), and you’re good to go. Basically, a few minutes are all it takes to create a full workstation wherever you go.
- Trigger Handle. If your job requires scan-intensive tasks, this is the addon for you. Using it is a breeze since it easily attaches and detaches from the device’s housing and doesn’t block the rear-facing camera.
- Soft Holster. As lightweight as the EC55 is, it’s perfectly understandable to get tired of carrying it around. That’s where this holster comes into play. Thanks to this handy addon, you’ll never misplace your device, and you’ll have instant access to it whenever needed. As a bonus, you can adjust it to squeeze in a few more must-have accessories.
- Protective Boot. Put this Protective Boot onto your EC55 and navigate even the most challenging environments without worrying about dropping or breaking your trusty companion.
- In-Vehicle Holder. This holder is ideal for drivers and other transportation workers who primarily use the EC55 in their vehicles.
- Bluetooth Headset. Although a relative newcomer to the Zebra’s lineup, the Bluetooth Headset has become one of the most popular accessories. Once you experience the wonders of hands-free communication, you’ll instantly understand why.
Talk to an Expert
All this talk about specifications, software programs, and accessories can make your head spin, no matter how tech-savvy you might be. But there’s no need to worry. You can always rely on Energy Electronics to make the purchasing process as simple as possible. Get in touch with our experts, tell us more about your business, and let’s get you the perfect Zebra EC55 mobile computer setup to streamline your business operations.