Mobile computing devices like smartphones, tablet computers, and personal digital assistants have widespread use in health care. Studies show that desktop computers are being replaced by mobile devices as preferred information access resources by health care practitioners. With that in mind, we present the top 10 handheld devices in the healthcare setting.
Use the contact form below to talk to our expert in Handheld devices in health care. We will respond within 1 business hour.
- Top 10 Handheld Devices for Health Care
- Top Uses for Handheld Devices in Health Care
- Legal Requirements for a Medical and Health Care Tech
- Talk to Tech Expert
Top 10 Handheld Devices for Health Care
Honeywell Dolphin CT60
Handheld devices in healthcare like Honeywell Dolphin CT60 increase productivity and speed up data collection and access in healthcare organizations. The device runs on the Android operating system, has a rugged design, and has tremendous battery power.
The LTE-Advanced network support secures up to 300Mbps of internet speed anywhere and anytime. Healthcare workers can carry the handheld in their pocket and use it as a barcode scanner for drugs, a data input device, and a communication gadget.
- 2D imager for barcode scanners
- IP65 and IP67 rating
- Android operating systems
- 4.7-inch Corning Gorilla Glass touchscreen
- Bluetooth connectivity support
- 32 GB memory
- Rugged and element-resistant design
- Universal use
- Android system
- More expensive than a regular smartphone
Getac T800 Tablet
The Getac T800 is a fully rugged 8.1-inch tablet used across industries and fields. The device is best known for its long-lasting battery that can endure the entire 12-hour shift. The hardware runs on a Quad-core Intel Atom x7 1.6 GHz processor (these fancy tech words translate to a robust system) for optimal performance even when multitasking.
Users can attach an RFID, smart card, or an extended battery for a more versatile user experience. The 24mm thickness and lightweight design make the tablet easy to use with one hand. The device also has four touch modes including pen mode, touch, glove, and Digitizer for use in all healthcare environments.
- Rugged design
- Weight: 880g
- Windows OS
- LumiBond 2.0 Technology
- 8.1-inch display
- RFID, extended battery, and smart card support
- Glove touch mode
- Fast connection
- Micro-SD support is optional, not standard
Sonim RS80 is a rugged tablet, smart scanner, and powerful Android mobile device that makes information sharing and data capturing easy and accessible for healthcare workers. The tablet has an 8-inch screen and is ideal for handheld devices in healthcare.
The screen has an anti-fingerprint coating and can be used with gloves or wet hands. It’s also resistant to elements like drops, water, and dust. The dual camera, physical buttons on the side, and broad cellular connection make this versatile device suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
- Android 10 OS
- Qualcomm MSM8953 Pro, Octa-Core 2.2GHz chipset
- LTE connectivity
- Up to 256 GB microSD memory
- Integrated barcode scanner
- NFC support
- Versatile scanner, tablet, and mobile computer
- In-built barcode scanner
- Extra-long battery life
- Quick charge
- Lightweight design
- The screen size could be bigger
The Sonim RS60 rugged tablet has a 6-inch display, a barcode scanner, and a fast processor for optimum performance and versatility. Use the RS60 model for patient data entry and sharing, access to online references, patient documentation storage, and note-taking.
The device has a high-capacity battery, 4G LTE connectivity, and a carrying strap for comfortable and easy usage. The surface is fully rugged while the overall design is lightweight, making multiple-hour operation convenient. The Gorilla Glass 3 has an anti-fingerprint coating and works great with wet fingers.
Use the smart RS60 tablet in low light, scan drugs, and communicate with your colleagues with a few clicks of a button.
- Android 10 OS
- Qualcomm MSM8953 PRO processor
- 8000 mAh removable battery capacity
- Weight: 396 gr
- FHD 1920 x 1080 resolution
- Readable in low-light and sunlight conditions
- Usable with gloves and wet fingers
- Hearing aid compatibility
- Lightweight design
- The camera could be better
Barcode scanners are integral parts of any healthcare organization. They ensure proper treatment administration, help increase patient safety, and reduce errors. That’s exactly what the Zebra DS4600 can help you achieve.
The DS4600 series comes with various productivity-boosting features, including intelligent document capturing, picture brightening, de-skewing, and multiple barcode scanning at once. If you aim to reduce the time needed for documentation and drug scanning, the Zebra DS4600 fits the bill.
The device has IP52 sealing against spills, optical character recognition (OCR) support, and a 1D and 2D barcode scanner. This handheld device in healthcare can get you any data you need to capture in seconds.
- OCR support
- 1D and 2D barcode scanning
- IP52 sealing
- Easy to use
- Hands-free mode
- Element and drop protection
- Easy data ID collecting
- Only used for data capturing
- Limited color availability
Zebra TC51 HC
If you need a mobile computer with a strong battery, a modern design, and all-around element protection for indoor and outdoor use, Zebra TC51 HC may be your best option. Healthcare workers working in harsh weather conditions often lack a suitable device for data entry and capturing, but Zebra TC51 HC checks all the boxes.
The tablet works with gloves and wet fingers, connects to Wi-Fi networks, has an Android system, and comes with a replaceable battery. Healthcare practitioners can rely on Zebra TC51 HC for mobile computing, data capturing, clinical collaboration, and more.
The hex-core processor uses less power and runs five times faster than competitors. Use the device for text messaging, video streaming, alarms, online education, and any other online activity. The 2D imager makes barcode scanning fast and effortless.
- Long battery life
- 2D imager
- Android OS
- 249g weight with battery
- Resistant to elements
- Healthcare-specific usage
- Smooth operation
- Easy to use
- Lacks LTE connectivity
- Older Android version
- Only okay front-facing camera
The Zebra TC52 is closely related to the TC51 model and fits into any healthcare environment. The device is one of the best-sold Android mobile computing gadgets due to its robust features. Boost the operational efficiency of your staff by increasing the accuracy and speed of data capturing and sharing and facilitating communication.
The TC52 model is your go-to solution for 2D imaging, video conferencing, note-taking and voice recording, and document scanning. The tablet has a full HD display suitable for most lighting conditions.
The 5-inch display is suitable for wet fingers and gloves, and the hardware comes with upgraded flash and RAM compared to the TC51 model.
- Android 8.1 OS
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, and BLE connectivity
- Great 2D scanning range
- 1280 x 720 px display
- Both-side facing camera
- Easily accessible scanner button
- Upgraded version of TC51
- Familiar Android OS
- Compatible with existing accessories
- Power is required to connect the cradle to the PC via USB MTP
- Median battery life
Zebra DS9900 hybrid scanner is your go-to handheld device for scanning documents and patient-related barcodes easily and quickly. The scanner works great in multiple environments, including labs and pharmacies, and can handle points of sale, blood bags other blood processing tasks, and much more.
You can choose the best model depending on your specific needs (DS9908R for POS, DS9908R for blood processing, DS9908 for labs) to offer your staff unparalleled productivity.
- Multiple models for different uses
- White illumination LEDs
- 800 MHz microprocessor
- Barcode and UHF RFID writing and reading
- Easy to use and store
- No external power supply is needed for RFID models
- Hybrid scanning
- OCR technology
- On the expensive side
ScanPal EDA51 HC
Honeywell ScanPal EDA51 HC is the preferred data collection terminal on the market. With an integrated barcode scanner for 2D images, a 4000 mAh battery life, and numerous connectivity options, this handheld device will surely fit most healthcare environments.
The lightweight design and a 5-inch display make data capturing and sharing effortless. The 1280 x 720 resolution on the LED backlight touchscreen is suitable for use with gloves and under humid conditions.
The device supports 128 GB memory using microSD, SDHC, or SDXC cards. The in-built storage is 32 GB. The eight-core processor at 1.8 GHz clock speed is enough for most data capturing, sharing, and accessing tasks.
The rear camera with 13 megapixels performs excellently in light conditions but could do better in darker rooms.
- Android 8.1 OS
- 5-inch color screen
- Rear-only camera
- 32 GB storage
- Barcode reader
- Has a microSD slot
- Versatile and easy to use
- Lightweight design
- Suitable for all-around healthcare use
- 2D imager
The Honeywell Dolphin CT40 HC computer is ideal for healthcare use where data accuracy is paramount. Nursing and patient care workflow runs smoothly and is more productive when you have a device as flexible as CT40 HC.
Using the 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 processor with eight cores found in some of the fastest smartphones on the market makes multitasking effortless. Run as many applications (Google Play Store available) as you want for uninterrupted workflows throughout the 12-hour shift.
The CT40 HC has secure wireless connectivity, meets FIPS 140-2 Level 1 requirements for patient data protection, and has an in-built 1D and 2D imager for scanning patient vials, IV bags, and wristbands.
The device has special connectors and housing for disinfecting and sanitizing the mobile computer to prevent cross-infection. The device’s life span is around five years, but with proper care, you can expect even more. The rugged design, 5-inch Corning Gorilla Glass 5 touch screen, and a 13MP color are only a few of the other noteworthy features.
- Sleek design with a lightweight frame
- Simple usage
- Android O and Android R compatibility
- Disinfectant-ready surface
- 7th generation 2D imager
- Octa-core processor
- Most comprehensive healthcare-friendly mobile computer
- Removable battery
- Plenty of accessories available
- Affordable pricing
- Excellent hardware
- Lacks front-facing camera
- Element protection could be better
- Lacks USB port
Top Uses for Handheld Devices in Health Care
Handheld devices in healthcare are seeing increased demand across industries, and healthcare is no exception. From enhanced communication to data capturing to online resource access, mobile computers, scanners, and tablets are becoming indispensable tools for any healthcare organization.
Here are the top seven uses for such devices in health care.
- Communication with colleagues, physicians, and nurses during the shift
- Storing and accessing lab results in an easily accessible form.
- Recording audio and writing notes
- Overall health monitoring like blood pressure, temperature, and heart rate monitors
- Using the device as an e-reader for access to medical books and references
- Diagnostic imaging or capturing, accessing, and storing ultrasounds, X-rays, and other patient files
- Telemedicine or remote medical services through consultations or video conferencing
Legal Requirements for a Medical and Health Care Tech
A technology piece in your healthcare organization needs to meet some basic legal requirements.
- Have management software for device usage management
- Protect the devices with passwords and store them securely when not in use
- Must be according to HIPAA and HITECH Act for data collecting, exchanging, and storing
- Follow the health care ethics code
- Have a plan for data backup and encryption
- Audit and monitor the use of the handheld device regularly
- Train all staff to use the device before official usage
Talk to Tech Expert
Access to quality Handheld Devices in Healthcare is crucial for optimizing the workflow of healthcare workers and protecting the safety of patients. If you’re dubious about the best device for your medical staff, you can talk to one of our medical device tech experts. Fill out a short form on our website and we’ll get in touch with you regarding device recommendations according to your particular needs in health care.